Sunday, August 23, 2009

To the land of frugality, functionality & style.








Hej hej!


Next destination: Lund University. Stop it. As I was looking at the departure board at the Berlin Hauptbanhof (Main train station) early Friday morning, I had to think twice about where I was heading. Having wanted to go here for SO long, I could not believe that when i next hopped off the train I would be stepping foot into Sweden - the land of frugality, functionality and style. Many people have asked me "why Sweden?". I would answer them generically with somethingalong these lines:

1. I LOVE everything Scandinavian especially their design including architecture, interior, furniture and clothing design. Simple, functional yet incredibly stylish. Even their language is stylish and interesting.
2. Wanted  to travel around Europe my whole life, so it's a great base.
3. They speak English fluently.
4. Sweden is a beautiful country - with a lot of water and greenery, much like New Zealand.

5. I want to learn about their business environment (they are a very wealthy & successful country),  comprehensive welfare system and social factors (high taxes), recycling & sustainable living initiatives and their urban design (including transportation & networks).
6. I have always wanted to experience a small-town University experience. Lund is a small town 40 mins from Copenhagen, Denmark and 20mins from the 3rd largest city in Sweden - Malmo. Lund has 100,000 people and half of them are university students. Lund has a history spanning 1,000 years and the university spanning 400. There are cobblestone streets. Love. Just a bit different from the pretty dull and impersonal experience of Auckland Uni. 

7. I'm blonde, tall and have blue eyes. Pretty much Swedish anyway.

8. Being so far away (and with a different/cold climate in Winter) I know I will be challenged. I want that. I'm craving the complete independence. Plus a white Christmas is a bit of a treat.

9. I want to find a Swedish husband.

After two days of being in this beautiful place, I am more excited than EVER about the above factors that drew me to this country. I feel so at home here, so inspired and so free to be me. It is an absolute privilege and blessing to be here. Can't wait to explore.

It's not all happiness and sunshine though. Arrived here and it was RAINING. Beautiful. Walked to tourist office then International Housing Office who gave me my keys to my room in Parentesen. Block C, room 115 to be precise. Learnt very quickly that cobblestone streets are pretty, but not always practical. Pulling bags along is fairly difficult. Very attention-drawing too. Got to room, struggled with the keys and finally got inside. Room is right next to the front door and opposite the DISGUSTING kitchen and equally as disgusting showers (of which I am sharing). I have my own room which is a decent size and my own toilet. Room smells pretty strange. Opened all the windows so I could actually breathe. Set up internet and voila I'm connected to the world again. Terry from NZ came and visited - SO good to see a familiar face and share stories about our travels so far! 

Slept a lot that night under my giraffe duvet that one of the past occupiers of my room left me. Pretty much the greatest piece of design I have ever seen. Even have a retro floral pillow case to (not) match. Embracing the fact they are free though! Woop! 

Spent yesterday at the local fruit and vege market and supermarket trying to work out the labels and the exchange rate (50 Swedish Krona divided by 5 = $10 NZD... Got it). Getting a bit confused after having to work out conversion from Pound, Euro, Swiss Frank, Czech money, Danish Krona and finally Swedish Krona. Bought a bright yellow pot plant too. Love how the usually mundane tasks are now the most fun. Went out with some of the exchange students last night - first to the massive park by me to play some random and cheesy getting-to-know-you games and then heading to Lund Nation which was actually fairly average for the price paid to get in. Nonetheless I met some great people - namely Will from France and Olaf from Germany. Plus I loved observing the incredible fashion and how every single guy here loves their hair gel (think: Grease). Oh plus I met my korridor mates. Lovely Swedish people who were equally as disgusted with the kitchen (they just moved in too). Looking forward to tackling the mess together and bonding in the process.

So here I am. Another long sleep, some lengthy but great Skype calls and catching up with blog. Still in PJs and loving it. 

Next on list:
1. Buy a bike. A real cheap, character-filled bike. It will get stolen at some stage, but at least I'm contributing to the bike kitty and then I can steal one. Everyone has bikes here. 

2. Go to Malmo on free bus to get some interior goodies & stationery from IKEA and some warm clothing from H&M.

3. Buy a phone.

4. Have a shower. Have to amp myself up for this one. 

5. Read rest of book of james in bible.
6.  Have an early night, so I'm ready for the big week/s ahead! Intro day tomorrow (when all the other exchange students arrive and the fun & games begin). 
7. Get off the computer.

Hope you are all keeping well and happy. Embrace the present - it's the best way to live. It is a true present. Photos will go up soon once I have some!

Sändande du älska från Lund. ie. Sending you much love from Lund.

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading this Mich, real nice to actually hear how you are instead of just guessing from pics. Your writing is delightfull as well. Love Soph (G).PS all the best with No 9 on the first list!! haha.xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Love your photos. Love your writing. Really stoked on your economic interest in Swenden, my mum is heading to Scandinavia on a research scholarship and is OBSESSED with their social democracy. I hope you find a husband and find me one tooooo. Jess (Harding). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle!!!!!!
    Your blogs excite me so so much, I am so very glad that you are having such a fab time. I am excited to hear more about your fun fun adventures. Loving and missing you, Becky xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. you girls are gems. Must talk to your mum upon my arrival to NZ Jess!! Dont worry, I'll find you a husband too. There are plenty of potentials! Girls, all of you - email me to tell me how YOU are please!

    ReplyDelete