Three words that have been lingering in my mind recently.
Firstly in regards to Virgin Mobile. A key theme in my recent Business Policy group case assignment was looking at ways they could extend their company operations, establishing elsewhere and enjoying higher profits spread across greater activities.
Although this has taken up a lot of my time, lets be honest, Im not writing this to tell you that. There's been something else that I have been far more absorbed in recently.
It all started on my train trip to Stockholm. It suddenly dawned on me that i could in fact stay here for another semester. My friend Will who I was with could not stop looking over and laughing at me as in a couple of hours i had written up a comprehensive budget and gone through the pros and cons, turning what was a niggling thought into a full reality. I had gone from being happy with coming home in January to being adamant that it just wouldn't feel right.
My favourite reaction was from mum when I first proposed the idea. The first thing she said to me was, following a sigh, "I thought this would happen..."
So after three weeks of intensive researching/emailing/calling/thinking/late-nighting, the decision has been made. And I'm excited.
I'm here to stay.
Rather than coming over here for a short burst of fun, adventure and travels, I'm looking forward to enjoying and being challenged by the realities of actually LIVING in a different place - away from good friends & family and what will probably be an incredible summer!
I will be taking a masters-level geography paper on Urban development and sustainability. Will be incredible taking it here, particularly after the global climate change summit in Copenhagen in December that I am going to (and probably joining my lecturer in a protest!). Many of the lecturers are actually from Copenhagen (being only 40mins away), so I'm sure the course will be very insightful taking into consideration the outcome of the conference. In line with Sweden being quite an environmentally aware country, many students here are very into the issue. One of my current papers, Global Enviro Justice, has really opened my eyes to how beneficial it is studying overseas - with the input of ideas, experience and knowledge from all over the world you get such a rounded view of what is REALLY going on in the world. You just cannot possibly get that type of insight when taking a paper with the same nationality who have had very similar life experiences.
I have also applied to take a Swedish language course and a Scandinavian design course. Other possibilities include an entrepreneurship & innovation paper as well as business papers in regards to Europe integration (the EU) and how they compete within the world economy.
In regards to life now, although its been hectic, each time I bike somewhere I make sure I slow down and delight in the Autumn colours - such a rich diversity of yellow, orange, red, pink, green and brown tones painting such a vivid picture around the town. I've never seen so much colour in a landscape before! On the way back home from the supermarket the other day i made sure i walked down the whole street through the crunchy leaves. Just like the little kid in front of me. Check out these photos I took the other day to see Lund in Autumn!
I've also managed to have some luck with churches recently. Met some really great people too. I forgot what it felt like to go into a room full of people who love Jesus and just genuinely love people. Very overwhelming. During the service I sat there with my headphones on getting the english translation. Even when i couldnt understand what they were saying, I could feel their passion - through their tone and body language. Looking forward to checking some more out in Lund and Malmö.
I've also been involved more in my nation, Sydskånska. Last week I was a waitress at one of the "sittnings", which are basically sit-down dinners for large groups. Its either quite formal, or there's a theme. This one was with the nurses, who were none other than Smurfs. They put blue EVERYWHERE. Not that fun cleaning a blue toilet at the end of the night... Stayed for the club after with this crazy rock band! Last night I worked there again, but instead for the film club. There was just the förmän (person in charge), Maja, and myself running the evening - preparing and selling yum chicken, pear and blue vein cheese sandwiches as well as blueberry cheesecake and setting up the couches and tables (with cute retro tableclothes and candles!). The film Frost/Nixon was a goodie. Working there this friday for the lunch too.
The other day I walked past my favourite second hand shop and everything in the shop was 10kronas ie. $2 NZ! AMAZING. I bought this old light brown coat, a cute shirt, dress and shoes! get out.
So that's me. Exam on Weds to mark the end of my business policy paper and Российская Федерацияm, ie. the Russian Federation (yes that is their language) next week!
Hope all of you back in NZ have had an awesome Labour weekend - i heard the sun was shining and the barbies were out. Enjoy the longer days - mine are only getting shorter! Love you all so much and if you have a chance, would love an email or call on Skype to hear how YOU are!
M x



No comments:
Post a Comment