Friday, February 12, 2010

Dee oh oh aar ess.

What are...

Universal in nearly all building types.
They allow passage for inside and outside or within internal areas.
Moveable barrier to cover an opening.
Found in walls or partitions of buildings.
When open they admit ventilation and light.
They act as a barrier to noise.
They act as aesthetic features, creating impression of what lies beyond.
Often symbolically and metaphorically endowed.

Jaha, doors. Doors, doors and more doors. I love doors. I love how "everyday" and functional they are, yet how they are all so unique and full of personality. They are at the very essence interactive design. They can be sincere, apologetic, full of life, completely dull, colourful, warm, cold, big, small, obtrusive, shy, grand, experimental, technologically advanced, young, old, cultural, nationalistic, abused, weary, tired, fresh, secretive, open, ecologically conscious, fat, thin, broken, raw. They can be anything and everything. I think they are one of the greatest designs - accessible and free for all to enjoy. Just take a stroll down the road and you can be captivated, intrigued, inspired, intimidated, refreshed and more... just from the mere presence of doors.  Take a peak at the following doors I've captured on my travels around Europe and if you are craving more, click through here. I dare you.


































No comments:

Post a Comment