Monday, July 13, 2009

Drinking tea with the Queen

Alright Yeh! (said in a well British accent)

After a really long couple of flights via Sydney and Bangkok from Auckland, I arrived in London on Sunday morning, only to get interrogated by one of the London customs ladies who suspected me as some illegal con-artist! After getting out of the aiport after at least 10mins of questioning and definitely looking like someone who was sleep deprived, I managed to get myself to Oxford. Feeling rather delirious, I could not believe my eyes when the bus finally made it to the town. A bit of a change from the back of a plane seat - the place is absolutely incredible and you feel like you are literally in a Harry Potter film (minus the broomsticks). That night I stayed with my cousin Amelia who is currently doing her Masters in Geography/GeoPolitical Science (runs in the family) at Oxford University. She showed me around the St Johns College grounds - perfectly manicured parks and gardens (of which you are not allowed to go on apart from special occassions), with its own chapel of over 400 years old and beautiful brick buildings everywhere. After looking around the town and grabbing a Forrera Rocher milkshake at popular Moo Moos in the Covered Market, I headed home to bed. The next 12 hours undisturbed sleep was the best sleep I've had in a long time.

The next morning Amelia and I headed into London City - 2 hours bus ride from Oxford. While Amelia was in a meeting for her thesis I went into the Westminster Cathedral, a stunning old cathedral on Victoria Street, just down from Westminster Abbey. I arrived just in time for the Latin Service, of which I stayed for a bit of it. Lit a candle for Linda and Zac who recently passed away. You're both in my prayers. Later on Amelia and I had lunch with her boyfriend Adrian. We walked across town from Victoria to get there - past Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, through Trafalgar Square, Downing Street (where the PM lives), British Museum, Martins Lane and many police/guards on horseback along the way. That afternoon we headed to my other cousin Alexandra's flat in Clapham where I stayed for the next couple of days.

Met up with Raea Dionysiou on Monday night in Clapham where she lives also. Went out for YUM Italian & Pinot Gris followed by an evening of ice-cream, chocolate and a night tour of London City Baby! Zooming round in her cousin's car - over the London Tower Bridge, past Big Ben, along the River Thames, the Swiss Bank - we did it all! Not often you have your own personal tour guide!

The following day Raea and I met up for breaky at S & M (Sausage & Mash) just off Liverpool St where she works. Good to start off the day British style. Walked from Liverpool St all the way over the London Bridge and along the Southbank - starting off at the Southwark Cathedral (over 1000 years old) holding a graduation ceremony when i was there, past Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, the Tate Modern Museum, all the other theatres & galleries, old jails turned Spook parks, the Jubilee Gardens where there were many street performers and ending up at the London Eye to meet Phil Robertson. We walked around the South Bank some more, ending up in Waterloo at a dodgy park eating our lunch. Brilliant. Headed to the Tate Modern Museum to see the weird and the wonderful & as we were heading back to where we were staying, found out we were living IN THE SAME SUBURB ON THE SAME STREET, 3 FLATS DOWN FROM EACH OTHER. Of all the places in London we could have stayed!!!!! Clapham is likened to Kingsland and is full of Irish, Ozzie and NZ young professionals - many of whom run around the Clapham Common (massive park) in hoards and are all good-looking! All the flats are terraced houses, much like Paddington in Sydney - much like all of London really. That evening Phil & I went to a gig in Angel with Michaela-Rose Hollins which was awesome. Talked to the bassist from Ambassadors of Morocco and got a free CD woop! Check out their "Wikipedia" song - i promised the basist Joe that I would tell everyone about it in return for the CD.

Wednesday I left Alexandra's lovely abode, training into the crazy Piccadilly Circus and walking past the Hilton Hotel and Hard Rock Cafe to Harrods in Knightsbridge where I met up with beautiful Victoria Belcher!! We had some lunch at the Harvey Nicols Department Store before heading to Oxford, Regent and Carnaby Street (launch pad for Beatlemania & now amazing boutiques) for some shopping. That afternoon we got taken out by Victoria's lovely parents to the best place in England for High Tea - the stunning Dorchester Hotel. Being Tea Ladies took on whole new meaning!! After the club sandwiches, English Breakfast, cheesecakes and tartlets we said our goodbyes and i bused to Victoria Street Station - quite possibly the most manic station I've been to. Met up with friend Kristen Walker for dinner at YO! SUSHI! for a great catch up and wander around the area. 


Caught the bus back to Oxford - walking down the cobblestone streets at night past neat bars, cafes, boutiques and the Oxford University Press to get back to Amelia's was neat. This place has a truly magical feel about it. Today I plan to have a wander around the town, see Katie Ross in Oxford centre, go to a BBQ tonight and hopefully hit a pub or two afterwards. Punting is on the cards tomorrow!






Start my Top Deck tour early on Saturday morning from London City so you should hear another update from me during that trip.  Click here to check out my photos so far. Unfortunately my camera died so I don't have many of London. 

Hope you are all well! Love from the magical Oxford! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment