As I have mentioned I am heading to the Global Climate Change Forum in Copenhagen in December with my class. I came to Sweden at a very good time indeed - Copenhagen is only 40mins from where i live. It is such an important event - one that I am positive will change our future quite significantly. Its such a privilege being a part of it. The following is my personal opinion on the topic.
It is pretty much agreed upon that we are experiencing global climate change. If you dont believe everything about CO2 emissions, have a look around and see the pollution we create. That to me is enough to want to make change.
It is up to OUR generation, to make the changes necessary. We aren't just going to stop our lives; I accept that. We are living, the world is evolving and unfolding. But we are innovative and creative people who I believe can make HUGE change. Your skills and talents are important! Lets address this situation with tenacity and boldness. Lets have fun!!
We cannot do it alone though - we need a full societal shift in order for anything to be effective. We need EVERYONE being on board. After all it is not just our lives that will be affected, but our children's and the generations to come. We need to be conscientious about what is really happening.
I understand its all good and well to say that we should make change, but feels a lot harder to put that into practice. It often seems so hard, so huge, so beyond our power. It can be a very heavy topic and more often than not i have felt pretty depressed by the dire news we are presented with. I am certainly not a very "green" person, I shamelessly admit, but I'm determined to become more so. I don't think the reason why many of us shut our minds off to the thought of the effects of climate change is because we are selfish - i just think its because it all seems out of our depth and we feel completely helpless. We don't know who to trust. The media has been so full of contradictions. Power relations are heavily at work. Those who pollute obviously want to cover it up. It's their businesses and livelihoods at stake too.
BUT I think it can be less heavy if we ALL carry the burden. It will make it easier to make positive changes at an individual level if we are all committed to the cause.
If you are like me and feel like you still have little idea how to tackle this climate change/pollution issue on a personal level without going completely insane, I urge you to do some reading and to just be aware of the movements surrounding climate change/pollution/sustainability that are taking place around the world. Its better than being completely ignorant to it. Although I have little idea how I can make effective changes personally, I'm still keen to support reducing pollution levels and join movements that plea to the government, businesses and society to look for ways of reducing their levels of pollution and emissions nonetheless. There are people out there committing their lives to this cause. With whatever field of study or work you are in, think about how you can contribute. Those of us who are studying are going to be in positions of power soon of even those of you who are already - there's an opportunity to make world-changing decisions.
Special note to those who live in New Zealand too. Just because we live in a so-called beautiful country does not mean we can ignore it. Obviously its harder for us to have the motivation to make change because we have been and probably will be less affected by it. Plus we have always been told that we live in a very green, a very beautiful and therefore quite an environmentally conscious country. In reality, our country isn't as clean and green as our image illustrates. Look at the figures and you will see. If you aren't convinced, think about it realistically and our lifestyles. We are a developed country and one that relies heavily on cars. One whose geographical position can limit our drive to become more sustainable. I know there are many benefits too on the flipside. Just have a think about it.
Here are some websites that you may find interesting. Click on the names for the links:
350.org
Honestly inspirational stuff. Join the facebook group and keep updated with what people are doing all over the globe. It is HUGE. They recently had their International Climate Change Action Day. The photos are very moving, as well as the videos.
official forum website
Fanpage on Facebook
Official website for COP-15 meeting
Countdown to Copenhagen
Some churches are organising a big demonstration in Copenhagen
Swedish sustainability blog
I'm off to class - to do a presentation on New Zealand and our stance on the global climate change issue in fact! Hence why I'm a bit fired up about this at the moment!
UPDATE: Ok just got back from class and the effects of climate change are expected to be pretty extreme. People spoke about Hungary, India, Tanzania, Kiribati, Germany, Taiwan, Canada, Bolivia, Thailand, Malaysia, Hawaii and many more. Was very fascinating!
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment